HD Shocks from Apple Hydraulics

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HD Shocks from Apple Hydraulics
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:20:41 -0400
My name is Dave.  I am a Triumph-a-holic...

er...

...excuse me...

... ahem...

Hi guys (and Gals)

I just took off my rear tube shock conversions with Koni shocks and
replaced them with a pair of rebuilt (by Apple Hydraulics) heavy duty
shock absorbers (dampers) and I thought you might be interested in
my driving impressions.

The HD lever's are about as stiff as the Koni's set to mid range.  The
ride is a little different in that the Koni's have a softer jounce
(compression)
but the rebound is about the same.

The HD lever's cost me about $170 US exchange including new shock links.
The tube conversion kit (and this is the TRF kit) cost me about $300 (7
years
ago).  If I had it to do all over again I would go with the HD lever
shocks.  In fact
I just did!

>So, why did you take off the tube kit when it was already on and paid for?

I'm glad you asked that.  It seams the right side shock bracket was rubbing
the
tire since I put on the 205/70 tires.  The left side had plenty of
clearence, though.

>why did the right tire rub when the left didn't?

I dunno.  I guess the body isn't quite straight.  The car was hit in a past
life and the
body might be twisted.  The camber is the same on both side, though.

>So, what are you going to do with the kits, now?

Who knows.  Keep them for a while?  Loan them to someone who wants to
experiment?
Give them away?  Trip over them, break my toe and then throw them away.

Any other questions?

Dave Massey