Reveneering and voltage regulators

To: "INTERNET:DANMAS@aol.com" <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Reveneering and voltage regulators
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 20:14:16 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:DANMAS@aol.com
>Cutting out the veneer around the glove box door will not be nearly as hard a
>job as you might imagine. Just turn the dash over, and place the door exactly
>in position, making sure the gap is even around all sides. Tape the door to
>the dash so it won't move when you turn the dash over.

Yes!  I will have to check that the hinges actually give an even gap when
fitted.
I will do a trial mounting of the door, then make witness marks on the wood then
remove the hinges, re-align the witnesses and tape it in place from the back as
you suggest.  I was thinking about how to do this right.  Your message made the
thoughts
crystalize.  Thanks

>After the glue has dried, use a SHARP exacto knife, or equivilent, and cut
>around the door. After the door is removed, use the knife to very carefully
>trim the veneer to the edges.

Yes.  My veneering book goes into a little detail about this.  They recommend
taping the veneer at the area where you will cut, then cutting as you said, or
with a
veneer saw (where the cut is accessible and fairly straight (not like here)).
Also
they recommend a firm wood base to make the cuts upon.  All this is to avoid
splitting
the edges.

>Cutting the door out of a solid piece of wood, and keeping a fine, even gap,
>is another story! That really tested my patience.

Did you do this?  I figure that if I want a really nice job, I'd buy the
dash from Prestige for $250.  But then you do not get any fancy grain
figure, just a fairly straight grain from the solid wood.

>BTW, I still have your generator write-up, and will give it a good review
>soon, I hope. From the first pass through, it looked pretty good, but I've
>just not had the time to do it justice. I am thinking about making some
>drawings to go along with it, as I think it is very hard to visualise the
>operation of commutater rings, and phasing, for someone who doesn't already

Great, I thought about drawings, but while I do have a CAD program, making these
drawings with it is a chore.  My free-hand drawing  leaves much to be desired.
I loved
your drawings in your alternator article.  Maybe some of those could be used?
Feel free to edit/modify the text anywhere.  If you want a rewrite I'd be glad
do that too.

-Tony