TR3 starter/solenoid/wiring question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 starter/solenoid/wiring question
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:49:18 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
Have been working with a problem on the starter.  It has been hanging
up after I let up on the dash button.  I had jumped the solenoid and
discovered the starter hung up without any help from the dash button
so I ordered a new solenoid.  I miscalculated here somewhere.

Put in the new solenoid, kind with the starter button built in, hit
the button to turn the motor over and it promptly hung up the
starter.

I spent a little while looking at the wiring to the solenoid and
checking continuity a few ways and here is what I find:  The starter
and solenoid seem to work fine if I disconnect the large brown wire
at the top of the solenoid.  This brown wire appears to jump the main
power to the ignition switch and it seems to me that it should be
connected to the top terminal of the solenoid, this is the battery
side of this device.  There is also a small white wire with red
stripe that attachs to a small spade connector.  I assume this is the
power from the dash button to engage the solenoid.

What am I missing here?  The large brown wire has to be on the
battery terminal of the solenoid, doesn't it?

TIA,

Geezer

TR3A TS52320L