Oxidization on my Stub Axle

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oxidization on my Stub Axle
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:28:44 EDT
Listers:

I am putting the hub assemblies back on the front end of my 65 TR4A. I removed
them a long time ago and, while they have sat, some small oxidization has
occurred on one of the stub axles and also on the outer bearings and washers.
Since bearing parts are so sensitive, I want to clean them up. I've tried
spraying blaster on the stub axle and soaking the washer in it but it hasn't
come off and I can't believe anything approaching abrasion is appropriate for
parts like this. Is there anything I can do? Or is it not a problem and I can
go ahead and put the elements back together without doing anything?
For information, I did not remove the bearings and re-pack etc mostly because
I don't have that capability but also because they seemed fine. I guess when I
realized they would be sitting out (in a humid envirnment, no less), I should
have greased them etc. But....
Now this isn't the worst case scenario because I have a 64 parts car sitting
next to the 65 in the garage and I just took the assembly off that (for
purposes of making sure how it goes back together - didn't take photographs)
and it looks excellent. But I would rather put back what was on the 65 to
begin with. If I need to and can't get the oxidization off, I may substitute
the outer bearings and washers.
Lastly, the normal garage grit/dust is on the exposed parts still on the car.
If I spray some Gunk/degreaser on them and wipe will I degrade the grease
inside where the surfaces interact?
Thanks.

                                                           JMac