Do TR4-4A gas caps vent?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Do TR4-4A gas caps vent?
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:48:09 -0400 (EDT)
I've noticed that the gas tank in my 1966 TR4A has no tube to vent fuel
vapors out under the car, as I understand the original design to work.
I'm guessing that it has a TR6 tank in it, which wouldn't be bad if the
gas tank vented the vapors out.  So my question is--does the 4-4A cap work
that way (or does any TR's cap work that way)?  If, as I suspect, it
doesn't, then what problems should I expect with a tank that has no real
way of venting fuel vapors?  Should I attempt to retrofit a TR6 carbon
canister to this tank?

John Middlesworth