Results = OD - first use questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Results = OD - first use questions
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 15:20:33 -0500
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Several listers asked me what sort of information I recieved when I posted
my question about using a used OD for the first time.  Below I pasted in all
the responses that I got from people.

=====

Michael Porter wrote:

There's not much to see without disassembly, as best as I can
gather from the GT6 overdrive. I honestly don't know what the effect of
a kerosene slosh might be, but I would guess that, unless there's a ton
of sludge in the thing, it won't do a lot of good. From what I've seen
inside mine, and some of the comments on the list recently, there seem
to be three or four things to be concerned about:

1) Condition of the facings on the sliding member and the condition of
the annulus (derived from inspection after disassembly on mine)
2) Operation of the solenoid (both windings)
3) Operation of the gear selector cut-out switches
4) Pump operation

Apart from checking the solenoid and switches, there's not much more
that can be done on the bench without either disassembly or making a
helluva mess. I'd say you're looking at changing it out, insuring that
the fluid is changed and then wiring up the OD, and doing a test
drive... if it works, great, if not....

 =====

Brian Kemp wrote:

Put clean oil in, run it, change the oil after a good drive or two.  Change the
oil again after several hundred miles.  Don't forget the magnet in the bottom
of the O/D.

All I've done is check the electrics.  With it hooked up (ignition on, engine
off), you can hear the OD relay click on when the trans is put in the
appropriate gears when the switch is on.  You should also make sure the
relay doesn't click in 1st and reverse.  You can also watch the solenoid
operation and verify it is set.

My OD hasn't had any mechanical problems, so I can't tell you anything
there.

 =====

Ken Nuelle wrote:

Fill the unit w/ oil, get a 1/2" chuck drill, and chuck it to the input shaft.
Whilst spinning the tranny gears in 1st, in the forward direction, operate the
OD lever and engage it. The rpm and hence the whine should go down a
bit. If you have a speedo or tach about you can connect it to the trans and
check the reading this way as well.

Don't know any good way to check the gearbox out besides the obvious.

=====

Bill Kelly wrote:

I'm forwarding a bit I wrote in early '97. Unfortunaely, the only thing I
know about OD is that you can't see squat through the top cover, but at
least this might help with the basic gearbox.

(Bill sent me a fax and I will try and post that info to the list sometime this
week)

BTW, don't bother "flushing" with kerosene. Drain the box, and mop out
any bits of crud you can see afterward, then refill with GL4.

=====

And finally the ever helpful Fred Thomas wrote <G> :

It would be best to have me put it in my car and test it for about a year
just to make sure it's O/K for you to use, that way you will not have to
ever worry about a let down on the road side. Just one of many options
you have.

Thanks Fred!!!!

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
1961 TR4                  CT288L (Now with OD!!)
1959 TR3                  TS41311L (Rusting Hulk)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108