Triumph Reliability (Long)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumph Reliability (Long)
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 98 8:13:26 -0600
        This weekend was quite a weekend for my TR6. It performed admirably.
Saturday morning was CSU's homecoming parade. My car club shares a float
with SAINT (Senior Alternatives IN Transportation) a volunteer organization
that provides rides for non-driving Senior Citizens. We had 16 LBC's
crawling along the parade route. No overheating, no breakdowns. My TR6 was
up at the front. Saturday afternoon was spent cruising the high country.
The Aspens are in full color now.
        Sunday morning I rose early to follow Aaron Johnson (Towing his now
nearly full time race car TR6) to Stapelton Raceway. This is a race track
made on the old runways of Stapelton airport. After this season, Stapelton
Raceway will be torn up and buildings will be erected. The Multi Car Club
of Denver sponsored an open track weekend. There was no wheel to wheel
racing, just an excuse to run fast. I drove my TR6 there (not far, about 60
miles each way), stripped the trunk of spare tire, jack, tool roll and
spare tire cover. Removed the trim rings from my steel wheels. Emptied my
glove box and interior of any loose items, Donned the brain bucket (helmet)
and headed out to the track. We were split into   groups, or classes, that
would ensure we had fun. Having a Viper pass you at 150 m.p.h. after
appearing from nowhere is not fun, in fact it is very intimidating. This
course was a little over 2.5 miles, with very long straights (runways,
remember)with only one of the straights having a chicane. Most of the
Corners were very sharp although the track was very wide. My fastest timed
laps were in the 2 minute 16 second range. I was continually shifting at
4900- 5200 rpm and was seeing over 100m.p.h. on the straights. Aaron's best
time was 1:59, with almost double the horsepower, sticky race tires and
full race suspension. There were racing Mustangs there that didn't break
the 2 minute barrier. After racking up close to 70 miles of track time, we
loaded Aaron's car on the trailer. I put mine back together (spare tire,
jack, tool roll, trim rings and glove box contents, etc...) and we headed
for home. Zero problems with my TR6. In fact, I drove it to work today as
well. Started on the first crank and ran beautifully all the way in.
        Now you might wonder, what condition is the car in to begin with? The
engine, transmisson and differential are all stock. Showing 108,000 miles
on the odometer. None of them have ever been rebuilt with exception of the
differential. I have K&N air filters and a Jacobs Ultra Team Electronic
ignition system (this system still uses the points as a trigger, with a
reduced gap). The car has been lowered (1.5 inches) and stiffened through
the installation of Triumphtune's competition spring set. KYB shocks on the
front, Apple Hydraulics Heavy Duty rebuild Lever arms in the back. My tires
are Continental CZ91 195/65R15's. A 7/8 inch sway bar on the front and
nylatron bushings finish off the suspension mods. The car drives fine
(although a little stiff) and handles like a dream. The stock low
compression engine still puts out enough power to have fun (though more
power would be more fun). My TR6 did receive many compliments, even from
Porsche owners.
        So to wrap up. This weekend my TR6 went from parade routes, to
mountain passes, to race tracks, and home. All with no problems. My only
complaint was that the trip home from the Track at 75-80 m.p.h., seemed
slow after those 100+ m.p.h. straights.  A properly maintained Triumph is
still capable of what it was originally intended for, and is still capable
of impressing non-TR drivers.

Shawn Loseke