Re: Waxoil vs. Denitrol - Comparison??

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Waxoil vs. Denitrol - Comparison??
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:45:32 -0600
Cc: tr357@cdsnet.net, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> >Hi List: I have been reading about Waxoyl for rustproofing and sealing
> >body and fender seams. Sounds like a great item since you can spray it
> >on. Do we have a product like it here ? (USA) or do we bite the freight
> >bullet and order from Rimmer. Have any of you used it ?
> >Thanks for the help.

I will jump into this with a little commercial application information.
Where I work, we have been using a US-made product, in a couple of
different formulations, called Tectyl. It is somewhat of a wax-based
product, and, after application, has the consistency of lipstick. It
also has the reputation of never setting up. It remains the consistency
of a semi-liquid, apparently, forever. It is very effective in that it
is self-healing... if scratches, it gradually flows in to fill the gap,
and given that property, never seems to dry out, peel off or otherwise
lose its undercoating properties.

The noticeable downside of this stuff is color, and the tendency to wipe
off on any surface in contact with it (most notably, pants legs and
shirt sleeves <g>). It comes in two colors, silver and a sort of
sick-dog feces translucent brown. For concours cars, it's clearly not
recommended, but for daily drivers, it might be a help keeping the salt
away in those states who use copious amounts of same on the roads.

I'm told the manufacturer has recognized the smeary aspects of the
stuff, particularly the silver variety, and has been working on stuff
which skins to a hard coat (eliminating the more pesky problems of
working on surfaces coated with the goo), but remains soft underneath,
but I have not seen the quality assurance tests on this variety as yet.
Anyone interested, I can supply the contact and MSDS info.

Cheers.