Re: died on the side of the road

To: charles white <cwhite@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Re: died on the side of the road
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:01:51 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, charles white wrote:

> Well it finally happened, dead on the side of the road .  I came off the
> freeway, started missing and then DEAD.  Towed it home tonight.   I need
> some help for ideas what else to try.  Right now it will not fire at all
> even with starting fluid.  So far we have changed:  the points, the rotor,
> the cap, the condenser, the coil(ever tried lucas sport coil)..  We have

Pull the cap off and turn on the ignition.  With a well-insulated
screwdriver, open the points.  You should see a spark.

If there's a spark, move along to the next part.  Put the cap back on,
pull a spark plug, rig it up, crank engine, watch for spark.  If the plugs
won't spark, you've (almost!) found the problem.

I suspect a loose or frayed wire somewhere.  Check the low-tension lead(s)
in the distributor, and those going to and from the coil.  Check the
ignition switch.  If all else fails, start at the battery and pretend
you're Mr. Electron on his way thru your automobile, mission at hand: to
ignite Mr. Fuel-Air Mix.

Sometimes it helps to make a checklist of all the things to be checked.
Check them ALL, even if you "know" they're fine.  Too many times have I
had to start over if I discounted a problem due to new parts.

Good Luck, and may the for... hmm, that's not right...
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm