TR Crank Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR Crank Question
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:58:11 +0100 (BST)
As mentioned in earlier post I have stripped down my TR engine, The new
liners and pistons are indeed A+E as suggested. The next question revolves
around the crank (pun intended) After inspecting the bearings I noticed the
big ends are 60thou. under and the mains 30 thou under. The journals
themselves were measured  and confirmed these figures. The mains journals
are showing a raised wear ridge in the centre, which can be felt when you
run your finger across it. Am I right in thinking that this crank is scrap,
and likely to be ground beyond the case hardening?. What is the normal and
most cost effective solution here. Thanks in advance.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.