TR4 Payen Head gaskets

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 Payen Head gaskets
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I don't know if I've cured the problem with my TR4's cooling system
(it burps a little bit of antifreeze on shutdown)-- I'm going to get a
replacement rad cap (of correct size!) soon, and will play around with the
hoses.

Today's activity involved a test drive whereby I ran out of gas.  Luckily
I was within rolling distance of a safe haven.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb,
dumb.  Also lucky that my brother has parked his 74 Pontiac in our front
yard- much easier to remove gas from it than anything modern :-)

Anyway, as I have a sinking feeling that my head-gasket is on the way out,
I thought I'd take advantage of Obsolete Autmotive's sale and pick up a
head-gasket kit.

For $85 cdn I can get "all the gaskets normally needed during head
overhaul.  Original AE Payen quality."  Is Payen the right brand to get,
or should I try some other source?  My only beef with this company is that
they don't know too much about the early TR4s- seem to think that the last
TR3B rolled off the line in 1962, so therefore the early TR4 is from 1963.
Oh well.

Also, is there any way to determine what sort of suspension I need to buy?
I know my car had its frame replaced 15 years ago, but I have no clue as
to whether an early frame (w/ TR3 style susp.) or a later frame (TR4-TR6
susp.) was used.  Some time in the (far) future I intend to rebuild the
front end, as the bushes are all looking a bit ragged and could do with a
fresh set.  But I don't want to plunk down $150 for the wrong stuff.

TIA,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm