Re: TR4A overdrive questions: Dan Masters-type question.

To: Mike & Mary Smith <mysmithnc@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A overdrive questions: Dan Masters-type question.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Mike & Mary Smith wrote:

> My overdrive doesn't.  If I mechanically operate the lever,  the OD kicks in
> and out properly, but I don't get any satisfaction, electrically.  The relay
> will click when the electric switch is operated when in appropriate gears,
> but the solenoid ignores me.

A solenoid is just an electromagnet with a hole put in it for a plunger.
(not the bathroom kind)  If you can see which wires go where on a
solenoid, it's just a big coil of wire (usually copper) going around a
tube.  The coil must be continuous; so an ohm-meter placed across the
terminals of the coil will read close to 0 ohms resistance.  (do this test
with the battery disconnected, and wires removed from solenoid).

If you have continuity thru the coil, then check to make sure that the
solenoid is not grounding out- see if it's continuous (resistance=0)
between either of the solenoid terminals and a convenient ground point
somewhere.

It is possible to re-wrap solenoids but in order to avoid damaging things
I think it is wise to use the same size copper wire and the same number of
turns around the "tube".  A different size of wire will work but there's a
big formula that must be calculated to determine the # of turns required.

That being said, it's not impossible.  It might just be easier to find
yourself a spare solenoid from somewhere.

Incidentally, the Sunbeam Alpine uses an electric over-drive.  Anyone know
if it is the same as the Triumph model?  My cousin has 2 spare OD trannies
sitting in his garage (beside his Alpine...)  Any way I can figure out
what they are?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm