Re: Spitfire Suspension - another suggestion

To: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@home.com>, "Chris Taylor" <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Suspension - another suggestion
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:17:40 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Listers,

a flame wrench, aka torch, also works wonders for unseating rubber mush. A
quick light until they burn, leave on driveway or otherwise (ask the wife if
you can burn rubber indoors <G>) and they will fall out on their own.  This
is a trick taught to me by a mechanic to be used on trailing arm bushings
(TR6) where the central pin has separated from the metalastic rubber.  The
flame from rubber fire will not harm the aluminum, but a direct assault from
a cutting torch will.  (So, if you get REALLY pissed off and wanted new
stuff anyway...)

PS:   urethane bushings will transmit more road  "shock".  This means they
are doing their job.  If you have anything more than stock 155 /13's on your
spit, you can benefit from urethane.  That said,  I ran my GT6 on 185/60 13
BFG comp ta R1 race compound tires and boy did it hold the road.   This type
of preformance DID chew up stock bushings in about 10 k miles.  And, in 6
tech (Len Rechenberger), it is noed that Tr6's go through upper bushings in
10k miles ANYWAY.

Urethane is a "modern replacement".

Dave