TR3/3A/3B Production ( was TR4 Payen Head gaskets)

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3/3A/3B Production ( was TR4 Payen Head gaskets)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:10:14 EDT
Malcolm see below for some answers.

In a message dated 98-10-15 00:19:50 EDT, walker05@camosun.bc.ca writes:

> Well, I don't know if I've cured the problem with my TR4's cooling system
>  (it burps a little bit of antifreeze on shutdown)-- I'm going to get a
>  replacement rad cap (of correct size!) soon, and will play around with the
>  hoses.

New cap should be 7psi.  Be careful - there are 4psi ones around.

  <<snip >>

>  For $85 cdn I can get "all the gaskets normally needed during head
>  overhaul.  Original AE Payen quality."  Is Payen the right brand to get,
>  or should I try some other source?  My only beef with this company is that
>  they don't know too much about the early TR4s- seem to think that the last
>  TR3B rolled off the line in 1962, so therefore the early TR4 is from 1963.
>  Oh well.

Don't know about "AE Payen".
The first TR4 was built on Jul 18, '61.  TR3/3A production stopped in Autumn
'61.  Shortly after, the US dealers asked for more sidescreen cars.  Triumph
complied and in March '62 started building TR3B's.  The first 530 TR3B's
(TSF1- TSF530L) were basically TR3A's.  The second batch (TCF1-TCF2804) of
TR3B cars used TR4 geearboxes and engine.  TR3B's stopped being built sometime
in Dec '62. so there were several months (Jul'61 - autumn '61) when both
TR3A's and TR4's were being built simultaneously and about 9 months (Mar'62 -
Dec '62) when TR3B's and TR4's were being built together.  I've seen photos of
the assembly with both types of cars on it.

>  Also, is there any way to determine what sort of suspension I need to buy?
>  I know my car had its frame replaced 15 years ago, but I have no clue as
>  to whether an early frame (w/ TR3 style susp.) or a later frame (TR4-TR6
>  susp.) was used.

The TR4 suspension is not exactly the same as the TR3.  The trunnions are
different and there are some other very minor differences (seals).  If your
frame has an "X" type bracing with a sort of box in the middle of the "X" then
it is a TR4 frame.  If it looks like a "bell" connected to an "A" with a
crosspiece (running parallel to the bumpers) at the connection, then it is a
TR4A frame.  Clear or not?

>  Some time in the (far) future I intend to rebuild the
>  front end, as the bushes are all looking a bit ragged and could do with a
>  fresh set.  But I don't want to plunk down $150 for the wrong stuff.

Aahh. Yes - money.  Good luck.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant