Re: Sunbeam Tiger

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Tiger
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 98 13:03:44 PDT

Ed,

Tigers are like Panteras; underpriced bastards that no-one wants,
but give you the best bang for your buck and are real sleepers.
That said, Tigers (like Panteras) appeal to the hot-rod crowd, and
there is not a lot of interest in keeping them stock.

Tigers are cheap considering what they can offer.  Expect
to pay a minimum $10K for a beat-up runner, and a max
price of $25K even if the guy has sunk $70K.  Thats
the problem; sinking serious money into these cars you will
never get back.  However, you can have a lot of fun for $16K.

Having the hardtop is nice.  The body is monocoque, so be very
careful of rust, especially in the area around the battery behind
the seat.  Check under the fuel tank and spare tire.

The rule is, unless you like working on cars and have the money, buy
one that already has tons of money sunk into it.  The motor is a no-
brainer.  Cooling requires work, so too does the suspension and brakes.
A rusty Tiger will send you bankrupt.

How do I know this?  I hang out with the Tiger crowd here in San Diego.
Tiger owners (like Pantera owners) are really fun people, probably because
they are not into image, but prefer to drive and get greasy working on
their car.  B

And, believe it or not, Triumph TR6s impress them, LOTS!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego