Re: Adjustment for altitude?

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@anr.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustment for altitude?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Cliff Hansen wrote:

> I moved the TR4A from Virginia Beach (sea level) to Albuquerque
> (5000 ft.)  Now the car won't idle when cold, choke doesn't seem
> to help to any degree, and the engine lacks power
> at all speeds when warm.  Its just not as peppy as it
> was.  I haven't touched a thing under the hood.  So it must
> be that the altitude change is enough to change the carburetion.

Have you filled up with Albuquerque gasoline yet?  I'm pretty sure that
high-altitude places sell you high-altitude gasoline.  Maybe that's just a
nasty rumor...  I would do a few perfunctory checks before twiddling the
carbs too.  Make sure the air cleaners are nice and clean, etc.

> My instincts tell me it running richer than it should.  Lower atmospheric
> pressure means less oxygen in the same volume of air.  Anyone
> know if I'm thinking right?

Yep, sounds OK to my mind.  Also the gasoline may not vaporise as well at
high altitude.  Are you running SUs?  Do the "lift the piston" thing and
see what your car is telling you.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4 (SUs)