ref-Gt6 front brakes

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "G. Wiederholl" <Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de>, "Sam Gentry" <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Subject: ref-Gt6 front brakes
From: "paul stapleton" <paul-s@freenet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:05:37 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
well thank you both for the advice I had a play today and managed to get
both calipers off although I have only got the pistons out of one of them,
and I did that when it was still on the car by taking out both pads and then
pushing down on the brake pedal I had a look and one of the pistons had
moved but the other had not, the one that moved was forced back in and I
re-inserted the brake pad on that side so it couldn't move again I now
pressed down on the pedal again and the stuck one started moving. I removed
the brake pad and forced the pair of pistons out together restraining both
pistons with screwdrivers allowing them to come out as a pair (a 12 year old
son/daughter is helpful for the last bit ) by the time the first one fell
out the other was out far enough to remove by pure brute force and cunning
with only a screwdriver and a hammer.
    The other caliper that is off the car look's like it could be a lot of
hassle getting the pistons out I might even fix the side that I have
stripped and put them both back on the car and try the same technique one
the remaining caliper as it seemed to work well today although I will
probably take it down to the garage in the week and get it out with
compressed air as suggested.
    By the way the pistons were pitted and rusty with water behind them ,
not much but enough to notice it and there was a lot of dirt both on them
and behind them so I have decided to get new pistons,seals, stainless steel
braided flexi hoses and an overhaul kit for the master cylinder at the same
time it means the Gt. will be off the road for a few days but at the end of
it I know the brake system will be in good condition for sometime in the
future, when I fit a servo unit to try to make the car stop.
    Anyway thanks for the advice I will order the parts in the morning and
let you know how I get on especially before I attempt the master cylinder
repair
thanks
Paul