Re: Sooty Rear-end

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sooty Rear-end
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:28:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I've been told that means my carbs are set too rich. But I've read in
>my Haynes Stromberg CD manual that the Stromberg 150 CDs on my '70
>GT6+ are not adjustable for mixture!
*********************************
Yep, if they are stock 70 carb's they ain't no way no how adjustable, but
they do wear.  When that happens they will tend to run rich, although it
shouldn't be enough to cause soot unless worn an AWFUL lot.  The needle
itself is a spring loaded item, biased toward the throttle side, and as
such wears the needle and corresponding jet oval.  The only cure is
replacement of both, or the carb's, if that's truly the cause.  Might check
to see if the choke is hanging up, or not closing all the way causing an
over rich mixture, and are the float levels are correct?  Also, is the
exhaust stock, exiting out the right side rear or something custom,
directly exiting the vehicles rear and center?  If it's the latter, no
amount of tuning rich/lean, will prevent a buildup of crud on the back of
the car -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)