Re: Delco Remy Alternator pinout?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Delco Remy Alternator pinout?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:28:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>               ____
>              /    \
>             / o    \
>             =       |
>             \      /
>               -----
>
>    The "o" is the lug at the back where the alternator
> power emerges. The "=" is an opening with two small
> lugs. Unplugging the bottom one makes the current
> leak stop.

The plugs are labeled.  One is "1" and the other is "2".  Also, they
should have a "R" and "F", respectively.

If it's the same as my collection of Delco alternators, the "bottom" lug
is #2, or F, or the Field windings.

Inside the alternator are 3 components: the brushes (& holder), the diode
pack, and a condensor.  You can get a rebuild kit from Can Tire with the
necessary bits & pieces.  Or buy them seperate.  For about $20 you can do
all the guts of the thing; however, if you find a break or short in the
fields then it's better to buy another one.

If I can find my GM service manual then I'll see what it says about
alternator faults.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm