Re: TR6 - Engine Cam Retiming

To: Andy <amdixon@erols.com>, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 - Engine Cam Retiming
From: Gary Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:58:04 -0500
Andy,

Yes I do have a dial gauge but after thinking about it a bit more since my post
yesterday, it occurred to me that if everything was perfect, then #1 & #2 valves
should be fully closed and register .010,  for perfect timing for #1 piston,
which
they currently do.

I'm now suspicious that you're right as well as Michael Porter which suggested
that my old chain may have been so sloppy, and/or off a bit (I cannot remember
now
after 18 months) that the punch mark I added to the cam sprocket may have been
off
as well.

Perhaps some others might agree/disagree with this logic.

Thanks for the help.

Andy wrote:

> Gary,
> The tightness of the chain, or more correctly the looseness of the old chain
> may be your problem. When you marked the pulley the slack may not have
> been out of the chain properly and the about 11 o'clock would be just that....
> about!!
> Do you have a dial gauge? Can you borrow one? At TDC between the intake
> and exhaust stroke the intake and exhaust valves will be equally open.
> Andy
>
> On 10/24/98 03:59 PM Gary Klein said...
> >
> >Scions,
> >
> >Beautiful day today in Baltimore; great day to take a LBC out for a
> >spin.  However the TR is off the road but with the leaves raked and
> >grass cut, I had some time to return to rebuilding the TR6 engine.
> >
> >I've got a problem with the cam timing procedure as it's not going
> >according to the book.  Upon disassembly about 18 months ago, the crank
> >punch mark was in the proper position, the camshaft sprocket was not
> >punched but the cam punch was at about the 11 o'clock position as shown
> >on page 136 of Bentley.  I therefore marked the cam sprocket to assist
> >with reassembly.  Today after following the manual's procedures, I'm off
> >by 1 cam sprocket tooth.  That is, looking at the front of the engine
> >it's 1 tooth more clockwise according to the punch mark I made on the
> >camshaft sprocket. That's about 8.57 degrees advanced.

snip