Re: Timing

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:36:24 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Lang writes:

>I did observe something that was a little strange, however.

>Cyls. 1 and 6 are 360 out of phase... so I figure that putting a timing
>lite onto the plug wire for 6 should show up on the crank pulley with the
>same timing... right?

>Well, it looks like my cylinder 6 is about 4 degrees retarded from
>cylinder 1. That is wierd.

Hi Bob,

Are you still using the breaker points?  If so the difference
may be due to a slight wobble in the distributor shaft causing
the points to open a little more (and concequently sooner) on
one side than the other.  If you are using an after-market
electronic ignition system (as so many of us are) then the
cause may be due to the wheel not being perfectly centered.
Remember, 4 degrees on the crank is only 2 degrees on the
distributor.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3