Re: Timing

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Dave Massey wrote:

> Bob Lang writes:
>
> >I did observe something that was a little strange, however.
>
> >Cyls. 1 and 6 are 360 out of phase... so I figure that putting a timing
> >lite onto the plug wire for 6 should show up on the crank pulley with the
> >same timing... right?
>
> >Well, it looks like my cylinder 6 is about 4 degrees retarded from
> >cylinder 1. That is wierd.
>
> Hi Bob,

Hi Dave...

Hope all is well in St. Louis.

> Are you still using the breaker points?

Fortunately - no. I switched to Crane about a year ago.

>  If so the difference
> may be due to a slight wobble in the distributor shaft causing
> the points to open a little more (and concequently sooner) on
> one side than the other.  If you are using an after-market
> electronic ignition system (as so many of us are) then the
> cause may be due to the wheel not being perfectly centered.

I think this is the case. Read on.

> Remember, 4 degrees on the crank is only 2 degrees on the
> distributor.

Yep. I know this.

The problem aparently became hyper critical this weekend past. In short,
my TR6 driving season is over. The upside is I have all winter to rebuild
the engine, the downside is - I have to figure out exactly what happened.
I will post another message the the lists with detils.

FWIW, the car ran great before the "fire".

> Dave Massey

C ya.
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |