Spitfire restoration in progress.... (long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire restoration in progress.... (long)
From: Scott Davis <ssdavis1@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:01:31 -0600
        My current winter project of getting the spit restored and upgraded is
fully in progress...    Thanks to all those who helped out a few months back!

        There are quite a few bits that I would like to sell to help offset the
cost of the work.  These include the 1500 motor, a spare 1500 head, dizzy,
oil pump,, etc, and two 1500 gearboxes.  I also have the exhaust manifold,
a weber carb with adapter manifold, 2 crane/allison ignition systems, plus
numerous interior, exterior and just plain old unrecognizable bits that
have been accumulated in the past few months of scratching for parts.

        Current situation of the body is that it is stripped completely down to
the body, soon to be the frame.  I have commissioned a roticerie for the
body, and the frame will be done seperately.  All major suspension parts
will be powerdercoated, and the frame may be also, depending on pricing.

        The body is being worked back to originality, including the underside of
the hood.  In two weeks time we plan to get the body off the fram and to
the media blasting shop.

        The frame is going to be modified slightly to accept a Toyota (gasp!)
4A-GE engine and T-50 gearbox.  These are being chosen for their extreme
reliability and longetivity.....  Custom driveshaft will be made up, dn the
whole assembly will be tested and fitted hopefuly before the body is ready
to be put on the frame.

        Projected roll out date is March, 1999....  Before then, though there
will
mroethan likely be some major snags.  Right now, I am searching for advice
on hood clearances, oil pan manufacture/fitting and ignition system signals
to the tach.  THe car will look entirely original until you open the hood,
though the wiring harness will certainly be replaced.

        If there are any comments on how I could do the swap better, or notes on
what definately will not work, I would be very interested in hearing them!

Thanks!

Scott

Some people are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.....
(and they haven't gotten me yet!)
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ssdavis1
80 Corolla GT-S   TE720408517   4A-GE  T-50  4.3:1 LSD
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertable    Soon to be 4A-GE/T50
87 Acura Legend      Automatic everything, manual nothing.
85Coupe/85LB Corolla GT-S parts cars