RE: Spitfire Fuel Tank

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Fuel Tank
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:46:02 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'rtriplett@bjservices.com'" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Gambony, Jim wrote:

> Is your tank completely shot?  I have several radiator shops locally that
> will clean/coat a crusty tank.  I may have a tank that can be salvaged, but
> I do know it'll need to be cleaned to be reliable.

Be aware that if the tank is truly crusty (ie, sounds like a maraca when
you shake it), then it should be redi-stripped before the gas tank works
their magic on it.

If not, then the gas tank repair shop (rad shop) will have to do it for
you, and in my case, that means an extra 2 weeks or so.  We only have 1
redi-stripper round here and he isn't too keen on customer relations :-(

That being said, the tank is really good.  (done by Maurice's Radiator!)
The shop claims to have had no returns on the tanks, which is
understandeable.  The only qualm I had was that they missed a few spots
when they painted it, and it was starting to rust a little.  I shot a bit
of Tremclad gloss black at it and it's fine now.  They also didn't give me
back the plug (that was seized in the bottom); however, a proper sized
bolt and fiber washer only cost me the time it took to buy them, and the
$2 or so to pay.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm