Re: oil pressure

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: oil pressure
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:47:04 -0500
Gernot Vonhoegen  writes:

>Fellow scions,
>looking at the oil pressure guage I decided that its exhibiting a strange
>behaviour and I was wondering if anyone has an explanantion for that. Now,
>oil pressure in itself is fine, but when I accelerate hard, the pressure
>drops by at least 20 lbft. I personaly would expect exactly the opposite
>even when taking into account that the bearings are not that new anymore
>etc. As soon as I stop accelerating, i.e. keep it at whatever speed, the
>pressure goes up again.

>Cheers, Gernot

Gernot,

Two things come to mind:

1) have you checked the oil level lately?  Low oil level will cause the
oilpump to suck air when the oil is sloshed away form the puck-up during
hard maneuvers such as accelleration and cornering.

2) Maybe, and this is a long shot, there is a crack in the sense line
and under acceleration there is something tugging on the plastic tube
which causes the crack to open up enough to allow oil to leak out and
this results in a drop in the oil pressure reading.

The third option is: Its magic!

Good luck on finding the culprit

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA