TR6 Head gasket

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Head gasket
From: ERic Hammer <hammers@pa.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:01:33 -0500
Help again!  Those of you with better memories than I have, and you remember
who you are, will remember that two weks ago I was removing the head from My
TR6.  Well it is off and I have the new gasket and am ready to take the
plunge and replace the head gasket.  Is there any good advice that will make
the job easier, and/or more successful?

The head came off pretty smartly with about 18" of rope poked into the #4
cylinder.  The old gasket made a mess of both the head and the block, lots of
junk stuck to both.  This is somewhat confusing as I thought head gaskets
were applied "dry"???  I've read that I sould replace the old studs (don't
we all need it occasionally?).  Is this neccessary on a low comnpression
mild use head? Would Head bolts be better than studs??

All opinions, especially correct ones, appreciated.

Steve Hammer