Restuffing TR6 Seats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Restuffing TR6 Seats
From: Brian Damkroger <bkdamkr@nmia.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:07:36 -0700
Hi All.
Thanks for all the advice you all provided on my dash rebuild.  It went
very well.

Now, I'm restuffing my seats.

I have the foam kit and diaphragms from TRF.  Has anyone else done
this?  If so, could you send any advice or instructions you have?

I have a couple of specific questions.

1) The seat bottom ring seems waaaaaaaaaaay too long.  Should it
overhang the front (perhaps 8") and be forced back into place by the
cover?  Should I squish it down into the back crease?  Should I trim it
to fit?

2) Does the small rectangular piece go in the center of the seat bottom,
in the middle of the ring I asked about in #1?

3) The covers had flaps glued into various spots in the original foam.
Should I try to glue them into similar spots in the TRF foam (which is
all one piece), or just ignore them?

4) The seat back had a big flap about halfway up that wrapped around a
couple of slings and a chunk of foam.  The TRM foam is one unit, so
should I ignore the big flap?  Should I trim it and try to glue it to a
seam in the foam as an anchor?

5) The seat cover shop wanted $250 to restuff my seats (I provided the
parts), which seemed kind of excessive.  I've disassembled one seat and
it seems pretty easy.  The flaps and overhang are the only questions.
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.  Next up will be a clutch, then suspension bushings.

As an added bonus, a friend who is moving to CA left me his 20 year
project (in progress, of course), which is best described as 2.5 Jensen
Healeys.  Whee.  My girlfriend is thrilled.  Whenever we pass a
junkyard, she makes a comment like "look, there's our house",  or "maybe
we should stop and see if we can get another car that doesn't run".

She can gloat honestly though.  She spent months and months finding her
ultimate car - a perfectly restored 73 911S that is so perfect and was
so cheap it makes me sick.  Sigh.

Brian