Re: TR6 Trouble today

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Trouble today
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:51:47 -0800 (PST)
Cc: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Michael Ferguson wrote:

> If it turns out that that this is what happened to you, perhaps another
> lister has a solution. I don't know how you can route the intake air
> past anything to warm it up before it goes into a TR-type air cleaner.
> Hope this helps. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

On my Chevrolet products, there's a "stove" on the exhaust manifold.
Intake air gets to the air cleaner via 2 routes: cold & hot.  There's a
vacuum motor (Air-Thermac or something) that opens when the coolant is
warm.  Or cold.  Can't remember which.

The stove around the manifold is just a bit of sheet metal that's
approximately the same shape as the manifold; held on by one or two bolts.
To make this work on a TR4 engine (the only one I've had extensive
look-sees at), you'd need an enclosure for the air cleaners, a stove,
(could come off the exh. pipe instead of manifold), and the relevant
plumbing from a Chevy product.

Also, the Chevette has an EFE heater that operates when the engine is
cold.  It's a little ceramic element that is part of the intake manifold
gasket.  It heats the air-fuel mixture passing through the gasket during
warm-up.  It is controlled by a heat sensing switch.  Not sure how this
could be useful for TR types (except it might work OK on the single carb
Heralds & Spits) as there's only one heater element, and it's not very
big.  (Chevette uses a Rochester 2bbl I think; might be Carter or Holley)

I don't think the TR4 engine would have much trouble with cold air, as the
intakes *are* right above the exhaust manifold.  But it's something to
ponder for those of use in cold places ;-)

-Malcolm
"Snow?  He's a goalie, right?"