Re: ZS 150 to 175 Conversion

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Marcus@Schaper.com
Subject: Re: ZS 150 to 175 Conversion
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 05:28:54 -0800 (PST)
Marcus,

I'm quite sure that the standard items on your '68 GT6 would have been
the 150s. Although I haven't checked the actual clearance myself,
several sources (this list as well as "my mechanic" indicate that
clearance would be a problem with 175s.

"My mechanic" is a store-house of info on British cars in general, and
Triumphs in particular. He races a heavily modified early Spit in
SCCA, collects Jensen Healys, and restores any British marque. (I go
to his shop just to drool at the stuff he's working on--I'm 34 and it
makes me feel like a kid in a candy store!)

He tells me that the engine in the GT6 is one of the few, if not only,
2 liter Triumphs that uses only 150s and not 175s, (suggesting that
there's unused potential in the stock engine itself) and that the
performance increase even with stock manifold would be "noticeable"
(understatement).

Watch the list for further info as we get ready to make the adapter.
I'm hoping to convince him to offer the complete package, rebuilt 175s
and adapters, to the list before long...

John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ (holding my breath for those 175's!)