Re: TR4 Door latches

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Door latches
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 22:07:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:

> I'm a little confused (so what new!) about the latching mechanisms on the
> TR4 doors.  As I was playing with the fit of the door I noticed that when I
> closed it fully I could then pull outward on the handle and the door would
> pop outward slightly and would then be somewhat loose.  Once I
> discovered this I went and checked the other door and it too does the same
> thing.  Does this indicate a worn lock mechanism, is there something out of
> adjustment or is this normal?

Are your weatherstripping and door seals in good shape?  If not, replace
them first.

On my car this will happen if the latches are set too tight.  Move them
towards the fender flare a tad and see if you can get a more satisfying
clunk.

BTW it is best to do the door-fit adjustment when the wheels are on the
ground and the chassis attains its proper flex.  My doors were tight while
the car was up on jack stands but came into spec when the wheels were on
the ground.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm