Re: RoSpit

To: tomomalley@meganet.net
Subject: Re: RoSpit
From: "Robert M. Lang" <blang@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:46:08 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ISIS.MIT.EDU
Hi Tom,

I don't want to stir up the concours orignality thing, but I jut thought
I'd toss this out.

Having been lucky enough to go to the SCCA Solo II national this year, I'd
have to say that there is a def. appeal to an older british car with a
freakin' mondo power plant for the upper level autocrossers out there.

I actually was hoping that the GRM RoSpit would have been there - so I
could have taken a zillion pictures of it. But for what it's worth, there
were a bunch of Spitfires with various power plants that were pretty fast.
After all, they have the suspension that is pretty easy to tune to some
serious performance levels - but adding some power really sweetens things
up.

For example - the 5th place E Mod car of Wayne Snyder happened to be a
Toyota powered Spitfire. From the looks of it, it was probably a road racer
at one time - a perfect candidate for an engine transplant. But E Mod was
one by a piston powered car - a V8 Fiero... but there were Lotus 7's and
Europas with 13B motors, and those things are relly fast. I have to admit
that they sound strange, but they go like heck!

So, if you've got a clpped out X racer - why not convert it to rotary or V8
or V6 or whatever and have some fun with it??

Me - I'd probably build a V6 or V8 powered TR6, but you guys all know about
my "sickness".

Hey wait - I could build a tube-frame V8 powered TR6... kool.

Later,
rml
Bob Lang
TR6's (with TR6 engines - for now).

Bob Lang                       | Editor          | New England Triumphs
Phone: 781-438-2568  |                   |
FAX: 617-258-9535     |                  |