Re: BMIHT replacement panels

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: BMIHT replacement panels
From: "b.johnson" <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:04:18 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad Kahler wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I just received the replacement inner sills for my TR4.  They came stamped
> with the right part numbers 564807 and 850122 but there are a couple of
> differences compared to my original.  The first one is minor, the tabs for
> holding the wiring harness in place are not on the RH side as original
> instead they are on the LH section.  The other much more obvious
> difference is the addition of five 3/8"x3/4" slots evenly spaced along the
> top edge of each of these panels.   My only thought here is they are meant
> to be breather slots.  I don't think thats correct though and I'm at a loss to
> explain them.  Would any of you have any ideas what they are for?
> Fortunately they will be covered with carpeting but I still would like to
> know their function.
>
> Overall these inner sill panels look to be well made.  They seem to be made
> of slightly thicker metal than the rocker panels that I have to work with.
>
> TIA
>
> Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
> My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
> 1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
> 1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108Brad
Mine were the same when I bought them for my TR4 in England in 1991.  I
presumed that the holes were both there as a breather and to allow the
use of Waxoyl or something similar - anyway thats what I sprayed inside
mine.   Fitting both outer and inner sills can pose some problems,    I
didn't  MIG weld my new sills  all the way around, I used a spot welder
for the bottom joint. Its much neater.  The end caps didn't fit
correctly as supplied either, but the use of a big hammer sorted the
problem out.

Brian Johnson
(Please note new Email address)