RE: TR4 fan belts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR4 fan belts
From: Alan Crane <acrane@crosslink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:56:52 -0500
I believe that the engine jacking method is covered in the shop manual
butnot the owners manual. I was fortunate enough to try to change my fan
belt before it broke.  An hour or so later, I gave up and went to a
garage where they knew the process.

It is easiest to jack up the front end of the car, put a block under the
oil pan and then let the car down.  I use an old ammo box as my tool
kit, and it comes in very handy as the block.  Use a piece of wood to
protect the oil pan.

Also, it is possible to carry an extra fan belt already in place (not on
the pulleys, just thru the tight spot) wired out of the way.  I did that
for a while when I was breaking the belts every few thousand miles.  My
pulleys were out of alignment, and it took a while to figure out the
problem.  Makes it an awful lot easier to change the belt on the
roadside.

BTW, I have found the ribbed fan belts last a lot longer than the older
smooth ones.

--
Alan T. Crane
2312 Warren Ct.