Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil

To: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:21:10 -0500
>There is one thing to be aware of, though, when adding electrical meters=

>one of our Triumphs. The stabilizer is designed for a specific load. If
you
>add an extra meter, the voltage output of the stabilizer will be reduced=
,
and
>all instruments will give false readings, on the low side.<

Dan, Hi!
I an fairly enthusiastic about keeping things stock, especially if it is
visible, or if stock works pretty well as is.  I recently changed my
turn signal flasher unit to the electronic one from pep boys, and now
my dash light blinks too!  It is less susceptible to corroded lamps
causing flasher malfunction.

In the same vein, I wonder if the voltage stabilizer (actually a 10 volt
regulator)
is one of those things that could be changed to modern semiconductors.  I=
will be able to maintain 10v over a broad range of input voltages, and th=
adjustment is made at electronic speeds (I assume the stabilizer is
electro-mechanical).  Maybe we should use semiconductors, then we don't
need to worry too much about the drain through the stabilizer, etc.  =

I occasionally notice the ammeter needle "ping" (vibrate as if on a sprin=
g)
when
I rev up out  of idle.  I had assumed that it was registering the main
voltage
regulator doing its regulation thing, but maybe it is the stabilizer!

Do you have an idea about the total amperage draw through the stabilizer?=

I figure a 5 amp voltage regulator and a couple of resistors ought to do
the job!
I can whip one up out of my bin of parts now.

-Tony