HP road test

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HP road test
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:20:28 -0500
For the HP road testers.
=46rom the Jaguar e-mail list.
*

The following is the ENTIRE text of an article in the Tallahassee =

paper for Xmas Day, 1998:

------------------------------------

MONTANA - State now has no daytime speed limit at all

        The state's high court has taken the brakes off Montana's famous =

speed limit, or lack thereof.
        Montana lost the last vestige of a daytime highway speed limit =

Wednesday when the Supreme Court declared as unconstitutional a vague =

requirement to drive at "reasonable and proper" speed.
        The 4-3 ruling said the law fails to fairly warn motorists when =

they are driving fast enough to get a ticket.

------------------------------------

Besides the obvious implications about driving fast, it seems to me =

that a couple of interesting precedents might be set.  If you can't =

get a ticket for driving beyond  "reasonable and proper" speed, what =

about charges of "reckless driving"?  Does good judgement have no =

legal standing whatsoever?

__________________
Followed by:

We had a rather more substantial article in the Washington Post.  The way=

it
works is, because the law was struck, there is currently NO daytime speed=

limit at all.  It is truly Montanabahn.  But, the attorney-general is
pushing
the legislature to spoil it with a 75 mph speed limit.  So get out there
while
you can.