Gaitor Wire remedy

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Gaitor Wire remedy
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:35:09 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brad,

Having had a rack serviced a few times in the last few years, I can confirm
that garages and automakers have abandoned the wire ties in favor of
plastic ties.  I've just looked at the repair on my son's Taurus and the
gaitors are held on by pretty beefy electrical ties - thanks to Tuffy -
(about .2" wide) that have been pulled tight then the loose bits snipped
off.  My every day Chrysler (96) seems to have a similar system of plastic
banding as standard, albeit a bit more elaborate.

It ain't concourse, but it is a lot kinder to the rubber gaitor!

Tony Gordon
72 TR6 CC79849U, Midland, MI

Listers,

I'm finishing up the installation of my steering rack and was wondering if
there is any special technique for twisting the wire around the large end of
the rubber gaitor on the drivers side.  It looks like you would just stick a
screw driver through the two loops and start twisting but rather than
having to do it twice I thought I would find out how to do it correctly the
first time!

TIA

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 2/15/99)