Re: matching numbers

To: CCampb8169@aol.com
Subject: Re: matching numbers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:29:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 CCampb8169@aol.com wrote:

> How upset should I be that my numbers don't match on my tr6 body, engine,
> tranny, and rear end? The engine and body numbers are close but the others
> aren,t. Does this signify a rebuild somewhere in the past? Thanks Cole

The numbers likely will never "match" each other; the phrase refers to
major components being the original ones installed during the manufacture
of the car. These can be confirmed with a BMIHT build certificate.
Compared to an otherwise identical and equally pristine car, the car
without matching numbers would suffer a bit in value to a serious
collector. And it might be less significant a problem with a TR6 than
with, say, an early TR2 or a TR3B -- cars with lower total production and
cars where (for some, anyway) originality is that much more important.

--Andy