Cruise control's working-

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cruise control's working-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:42:11 -0800
Sorry to bomb the list with this blasphemy, but I lost the original address
of the others on the list doing the same thing so am posting the info for
them-

Just so the rest of you don't flame me too severely the addition required
NO modifications to the car (other than adding the unit and associated
parts, and wiring itself.  All connections were made with spade connectors
not the crimp and pierce wire types.  All other additions were either made
with existing holes or brackets were made that fit existing mounting points)
The reason for the addition, among other things was that the position of
the accelerator pedal was such, that with a cruise of any length of say
over an hour, my ankle, and if long enough my entire calf, would really
bother me.  So I found that I was driving the car less, and was reluctant
to take it on any trip of duration - with that out of the way -

I finally got a cruise control working on the GT6.  I couldn't use the
Audiovox unit.  NO matter what I tried, that unit would refuse to function
at all (it would work on the Spitfire though).  It never even tried to
operate feeling just as if the unit was disconnected.  I eventually removed
the unit and it will be used as a spare for the identical, functioning unit
on the Spitfire.

I ended up with another entirely different unit made by another company.
Hookup and general operation, including the led testing, and switch setting
was identical!  It was purchased through the "infamous" J.C. Whitney,
cost's slightly more, and it is made for mostly American vehicles.  But at
least it worked.  It has a stalk mounted "factory style" control head which
I plan on mounting down by the dash, slightly out of sight.  The vacuum
control unit of this one is slightly larger (longer) than the Audiovox one,
and as such required a different mounting location.  The Audiovox unit
mounted nicely well out of sight in the passenger side foot well.  This
unit, unfortunately for aesthetics, had to mount on the bulkhead shelf,
next to the brake/clutch assy on a fabricated bracket using the pedal
mounting holes for attachment.  For those interested, I can give you the
make of this unit in case you can't get your Audiovox unit to work on your
Triumph -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)