Re: Cruise control's working-

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cruise control's working-
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:12:24 -0600
Hi Barry,

> Sorry to bomb the list with this blasphemy, but I lost the original
> address of the others on the list doing the same thing so am posting the
> info for them-

I'm one of those doing that dasterdly deed!  I'm installing one on my TR4
and I'm going to review the possibility for my Spitfire.

> Just so the rest of you don't flame me too severely the addition
> required NO modifications to the car (other than adding the unit and
> associated parts, and wiring itself.  All connections were made with
> spade connectors not the crimp and pierce wire types.  All other
> additions were either made with existing holes or brackets were made
> that fit existing mounting points) The reason for the addition, among
> other things was that the position of the accelerator pedal was such,
> that with a cruise of any length of say over an hour, my ankle, and if
> long enough my entire calf, would really bother me.  So I found that I
> was driving the car less, and was reluctant to take it on any trip of
> duration - with that out of the way -

I'm also ensuring that I make no irreversable mods the the cars when I do
this.

> I finally got a cruise control working on the GT6.  I couldn't use the
> Audiovox unit.  NO matter what I tried, that unit would refuse to
> function at all (it would work on the Spitfire though).  It never even
> tried to operate feeling just as if the unit was disconnected.  I
> eventually removed the unit and it will be used as a spare for the
> identical, functioning unit on the Spitfire.

I can't remember what brand I bought for mine but its from a company in
Texas who "supposedly" makes all the units for the GM cars.

> I ended up with another entirely different unit made by another company.
> Hookup and general operation, including the led testing, and switch
> setting was identical!  It was purchased through the "infamous" J.C.
> Whitney, cost's slightly more, and it is made for mostly American
> vehicles.  But at least it worked.  It has a stalk mounted "factory
> style" control head which I plan on mounting down by the dash, slightly
> out of sight.  The vacuum control unit of this one is slightly larger
> (longer) than the Audiovox one, and as such required a different
> mounting location.
>  The Audiovox unit mounted nicely well out of sight in the passenger
>  side
> foot well.  This unit, unfortunately for aesthetics, had to mount on the
> bulkhead shelf, next to the brake/clutch assy on a fabricated bracket
> using the pedal mounting holes for attachment.  For those interested, I
> can give you the make of this unit in case you can't get your Audiovox
> unit to work on your Triumph -

My unit doesn't have the vacumm type servo.  I opted for the electronic
servo.  I didn't want to mess with the vacumm lines.  On the TR4 the servo
mounts under the dash in the passenger foot well.  I have yet to try
fitting it to the spitfire.  That will happen sometime in the next week or
so.

The stalk that came with this unit fits very nicely into one of the
escutcheons that are used for OD switches on the column of earlier
spitfires and TR4's.  So I just bought one of those escutcheons and
flipped it over and am using it on the same side as the turn signal
switch.  Looks just like it belongs there!

I'm anxious to find out how well the system works but thats going to be a
while yet.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 2/15/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108