Re: OD relay

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: OD relay
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:26:38 -0700
Cc: brooks@belcotech.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net

DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> > Anybody know of a substitute for the A type OD relay, sold by the big three.
> >  I am installing the OD for the first time and have no relay to bring to the
> >  auto parts store to match.  I just have a little trouble plunking down over
> >  $20 for a simple automotive relay.
>
> Jack,
>
> I don't know of an EXACT match for the relay, except to use another expensive
> lucas relay, but you can use one of the aftermarket relays sold in the auto
> parts stores for around $5 or so. These are rated at 30 - 40 amps, and should
> have as long a life as the Lucas relays.
>
> If interested, use the equivalencies below to connect up the new relay:
>
> W1 = 85
> W2 = 86
> C1 = 30
> C2 = 87
>
> Lucas numbers on the left, auto store numbers on the right.

Dan describes the standard Bosch numbering, which is also used by
Potter-Brumfield. The Bosch is supposed to be rated in the region of
100,000 cycles normal lifetime. The P-B is supposed to be similarly
rated, but seems to last not as long in actual use. Note that for
simplicity's sake, you should look around for a simple kit with relay
base, terminals and pigtails (such as are commonly available for
aftermarket fog lamps or horns), because finding the relay connector,
terminal lock and the right terminals can be a problem if you don't know
where to look.

Cheers.