TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:49:18 -0800
    I measured the ratio of the differential on my '66 solid axle TR-4A
several times and it fell between 4.26 and 4.28 to 1.  This result was
unexptected, but is borne out by the fact that the car revs up and tops out
especially quickly.  I've heard rumor of a special 4.3 to 1 rear end, which
if accurate could explain what I have (the disrepancy being experimental
error, although I was pretty careful).
    Is there a 4.27 or 4.3 to 1 differential available?  If so, it would
seem suitable for Autocross.  Would it also be suitable for road racing?
    Thanks.
John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan