Re: "6" restoration

To: Harrymague@aol.com
Subject: Re: "6" restoration
From: Joe Sholtes IV <joeiv@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:19:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Harry,

    I can't answer with any authority, but I'd like to
a suggest a guideline that I use in my TR 250 restoration.
Try to find out (via pictures in books, magazine articles
or internet archive pictures or observation and deduction)
what  components were bolted on after the main frame
was painted.  Then, presuming that Triumph wouldn't paint
the frame a second time, assume that these bolts were not
painted over.
  I can't help you with the frame, but on the body my method
of reasoning works like this.  My car is painted green.  The
brake/clutch pedal bracket is painted black, meaning it wasn't
on the car when the car was painted.  So, I deduce that the bolts
that hold it to the shelf in the engine bay would be exposed cad-
mium-- not painted green.
  On the other hand, the fenders, hood, and doors were attached
to the car when it was painted, so those bolts are painted green
to match the car.
  I would presume that anything that wasn't welded to the frame
(like the suspension, bumper brackets, etc) was bolted on after,
and the bolts were unpainted cadmium.  I have no pictoral evi-
dence to go by  though.

                                      JOE IV
                                      TR 250
                            WALLINGFORD, CT. USA