Re: Head Torquing

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Torquing
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:21:37 -0600
>A few thoughts. Are your head nuts properly lubed? The torque setting
>depends on nuts that run up and down the stud easily.

I didn't lub the nuts, but they ran free on the stud.

>Are you using a compressable stock head gasket? It sort of sounds like you
>are using a solid copper one.

It was just a stock gasket.  Came with the gasket kit, I believe.

>I used my cheapy 1/2 in drive torque wrench, and all is well so far, better
>than 2000 miles.

Mine sounds like the same, got it at a tool sale for $20, has the dial-up
setting to around 180 lbs.  Thanks for the tips, I feel much better about it
now.

Richard with the loose head