Re: How much does her body weigh?

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: How much does her body weigh?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 11:35:15 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Tom,

Weight questions about any female have always gotten me in trouble, but
I'll fearlessly venture something anyway!

I recently picked up a copy of the Brooklands Books/Leyland TR4 manual.
It includes body removal info for the TR4 that I bet would apply to your
car, too. I haven't seen this method discussed on the list (maybe I
missed it).

They suggest making up 4 lifting plates which are bolted to the body at
the hood hinge points and the seat belt anchors on the rear wheel well
arches. These are connected to a pair of cables (one front, one rear)
which are in turn linked together at the top. They then list all the
items in order to remove or disconnect so the body can be lifted with a
hoist. Unfortunately, this would require a pretty high ceiling in the
garage, or I might try it. Of course, even with the vertical room
required, I'd still need an edequate hoist.

The main point though is this is done disturbing very little of the
car's interior or mechanicals or body work. The assembled weight like
this I would guess is 700 to 900 lbs, maybe more. The hood/bonnet,
windshield, and bumpers/brackets are the only body parts shown removed.

Most folks at home opt to remove *everything*, outer body panels, etc.,
etc., including the doors which are replaced with some welded in or
bolted in steel straps to keep the body from warping. The stripped tub
should weigh about 200-250 lbs. Several listers have done this with
wooden supports under the car, even put wheels on them to allow rolling
the tub around. I imagine you could also rig 4 blocks & tackles or even
jack up the body with the wooden cross-members, rolling the chassis out
from under once it's high enough. How high would be determined by how
much you disassemble.

I've been paying a lot of attention, since I'll need to do this in the
near future! I will probably use the latter method, and will use the
body/frame attaching points for the temporary wooden frame.

If you are trying to do a minimum disassembly frame-off and it sounds
like the first method might work for you, drop me a line off-list and
I'll send you some more details.

Good luck!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.