Water Pump Grease Nipple

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Water Pump Grease Nipple
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 10:09:34 -0500
While cleaning my water pump this morning, I noticed
that there is a hole in the shaft (this is the neck that
is exposed between the rear plate that bolts to the housing
and the housing for the pully. My question is, is this
where the infamous grease nipple is sapposed to be?

I have heard in the manual to grease the water pump but
there was never any place on mine to grease (as I think
others from the list have commented on).  The hole
I found appears it lead to the bearings but there is no
threading or sign of being tapped, it is just an open
hole (allowing all tyoes of dirt and stuff to get in).
BTW, it sits directly below where one of the securing nuts
go, so it would be very difficult if not impossible
to get the grease gun head in there with the nut on.

Any thoughts.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6