Re: What speedo do you have for OD?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What speedo do you have for OD?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:49:35 -0500

Kramer wrote:

> >Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:08:56 -0500
> From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
> Subject: Re: What speedo do you have for OD?
>
> Message text written by INTERNET:quirt@sk.sympatico.ca
> >Apparently some NON-overdrive cars were also ordered with the 4.1 gears,
> so there may be several choices for speedo.<
>
> Essentially, the OD did not factor into the equation since the speedo
> drive gear
> is on the output shaft.  The differential DOES matter, as did the tires
> originally fitted.  At appears that most people who ordered the OD
> stayed with the 3.7 differential.  There is some discussion if ANY
> (TR2-4a)
> cars were DELIVERED with 4.1 in the US.  Certainly it was available as
> a stand-alone part, but as delivered installed from the factory, maybe
> not.
>
> I have yet to SEE or HEAR about a factory delivedred (to the US)
> speedometer
> calibrated for the 4.1 differential.
>
> Since your ODOMETER was accurate, the gearing was correct, but maybe it
> was re-calibrated after delivery.  The dial would have been very
> interesting
> since the re-calibrators probably did not re-letter the dial to the
> new calibration.
> -----snip-----
> Tony, I have a TR4/A IRS that was shipped to San Franciso (sp) with a
> 4.1 Diff. & OD. As I have written to you before, I'm NOT sure which
> speedometer came in the car because when I did the restoration I had
> mixed-up the many speedometers that I have. I belive that it was
> #13(58?). The reason I know that it was an orginially shipped in to the
> USA is that I have the paperwork cert. from the BMHT? [or some letters
> like that]. When I restored it, I counted the gears & then noticed that
> it was stamped with letters on top of the casing which I later found out
> that it denoted it as a 4.1 Diff.
>         I'm going to get around to changing the speedometers to the 13(58?)
> when I get this D** log cabin built & get all my belongings out of
> storage.
>         This is one of the many reasons that I don't answer the list's
> question, because everything is in storage & I can't document my advice
> that I wish to give. -Cosmo Kramer

Axles originally fitted with the 4.1 gearset will have a BTC prefix on the alxe
casing.  3.7 rears will have CTC prefixes.  Maybe Tony can do an informal list
survey
of rear axle prefixes???

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars