Re: OD issues WAS What speedo do you have

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: OD issues WAS What speedo do you have
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 13:40:30 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tony:

I also believe that you could order from the factory the 4.1 gears on a
non-OD TR3A, but that it had to be a direct dealer order. Even though
the Service Manual indicates that the 'high speed' kit included the 4.1
gears, overdrive, and a suitable speedo, the gears and speedo could be
ordered without overdrive - although it was definitely contrary to the
advice given in the Service Manual. This I was told back in the early
'70s when I was getting parts at the dealership for my TR3, so I never
bothered to ask about the TR4. So, it seems that the TR3 experience and
the TR4 experience may have been slightly different where the 4.1
availability was concerned. It may also reflect different priorities of
the Canadian versus American distributor(s).

So, for the TR3A at least, I guess that there were 4 possible factory
diff/OD combos:
      3.7/no OD
      3.7/OD
      4.1/no OD (never seen this myself though)
      4.1/OD
Although I can't imagine the 4.1/no OD combo being used for anything but
competition, and even then - why not have OD?

I agree that the 4.1 ratio axle is rare - factory or otherwise!!!

The (early )TR3As only came with the single mph speedo available for
each diff ratio, as bias-ply tires were all that were available from the
factory. Like the TR4A speedos that you have mentioned, the later
TR3A/Bs may have also had a 'radial'-specific speedo available, but my
parts book edition (4th) doesn't go that far. Perhaps someone else with
a later edition TR3A/B parts book could chime in here.

Dave Q.