Re: Fiberglass hood weight?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiberglass hood weight?
From: LBPB1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:53:49 EST

      Dave,
              The weight of any part depends on its construction which is
determined by its intended use. Fiberglass parts can very greatly. If the
piece is intended for use as a race part it will probably derive its support
from brackets and pinning points which are attached to the car. Race parts are
usualy flimsy and very light and have a tendencey to fold or bend under thier
own weight. If the piece is to be used in a street car,  hinged and latched as
the original then inner bracing must be built in so it can work as a stand-a-
lone piece. The extra material and bracing mean extra weight.
               I am currently building molds to make the late model Spit/ GT6
hood. When I am finished I will weigh the hoods both metal and glass to see
what the difference is on the parts I build. With each succesive hood built
the lay up process will improve resulting in lighter and stronger parts. The
molds should be done by the end of the month.

PLB3