re: TR6 -Carbon Canister and Evap. Emission Systems

To: Bud Rolofson <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: TR6 -Carbon Canister and Evap. Emission Systems
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 99 9:09:17 -0700
Bud,

 you might check the entire length of you evaporative line. Mine had come
loose from it's clips at some point and had melted in two where it made
contact with the exhaust pipe. When it melted, it closed the openings.
Which would make you think the line was blocked. Currently, I just have a
vent line for the fuel tank. No evaporative recovery.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Bud Rolofson" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, on 3/4/1999 9:14 AM:
Bob Lang and I have been having an offline discusion about carbon canisters
and
the evaporative emissions recovery lines/system.  I thought I'd share some
of
the discussion since others may have the same problem (blocked evap. line
from
the fuel tank to the carbon canister) and like me didn't know it.
Appreciate
any feedback too, if anyone else has had this problem and how they
addressed it.

Thanks
Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446

RML: If the canister is "full", you might get excessive fumes - after all,
that's the reason for the canister in the first place. Evaporative
emission controls.

 it
didn't feel heavier than it should (gut feeling, nothing to compare it to),
and
since the evap. line from the fuel tank was blocked I don't think it's been
getting vapor laden fumes to fill it up anyhow.

RML:  I've heard, but never seen, folks that have a blockage in the can or
the
lines to the fuel tank that allow negative pressure to form in the fuel
tank that is strong enough to cause the tank to collapse.

off at
the canister, removed the fuel cap on the tank and tried to blow through
it.
Couldn't get any flow whatsoever.  I didn't have time last night, but I'm
going
to try and blow the line out tonight or Friday.  Good thing I asked for a
compressor for my BD which I know is sitting in the back of my wife's car
and
which I'll get today when we do the open the presents thing with my kids.
My
plan is to unhook the line from the tank at the filler neck and maybe below
the
tank (I think I remember there's a connection there) and then blow the
lines out
with compressed air.  Once cleared of the blockage (and assuming it's a
hydrocarbon based blockage) I thought I'd spray some carb cleaner in the
lines
and blow that through them to clean them out further.   What do you think?
Anything I should be careful about?  I think the nylon evap. lines can take
some
light pressure...can't they?  Hopefully I won't split the line but if I do
guess replacing them is not such a bad thing.

pivot point in the pump) and I'm thinking that the blocked line and hence
the
vacuum in the tank caused it to be over worked and contributed to it's
early
demise.  And again I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is also the
source
of my idle drop problem (e.g. the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum in
the
tank at low RPMs and isn't delivering enough fuel to the carbs causing the
idle
to drop 100-200 RPMs below the set idle speed (850-900 until it can pump
enough
to recover).  Please tell me that makes sense.  I have my fingers crossed
that
clearing the line will solve that problem.

I may pose this to the list too to see what they think.