Re: TR6 -Carbon Canister and Evap. Emission Systems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 -Carbon Canister and Evap. Emission Systems
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:56:48 -0500
Bud Rolofson wrote:

> RML:  I've heard, but never seen, folks that have a blockage in the can or the
> lines to the fuel tank that allow negative pressure to form in the fuel
> tank that is strong enough to cause the tank to collapse

Absolutely.  In fact, it happened to the Spitfire I used to own.  I had taken
out
the tank to work on it, and renewed the cap seal upon reinstallation.  Didn't
check
to see that the vent line was clear, though, and one warm day I put the car in
the garage on an almost empty tank, i.e., one w/lots of fumes in it --
overnight, the
outdoor temperature dropped quickly, causing the tank to implode like a
squished milk
carton.  An expensive lesson in physics, it was ...

BTW, I've heard that letting a clogged line soak in acetone will clear it in a
few
days.  Hang it up, fill it, and wait.

--
Martin Secrest